My talk recently at the 5th ASEAN Region Primary Care Conference.
Topic for today:
- Challenges of dealing with youths/
- key concepts of addictions
- Substance affect on the brain
- Gateway Theory
- Cannabis Use
- Challenges / Solutions for treating youths
Dealing with 2 problems:
- the adolescences themselves
- they are at risk of developing substance abuse
They are looking for a sense of identity, individuality.
Substance are related to suicide.
Anything that can be made into liquid can be vaped.
Social Media and the Internet are easy access for youths to access substances.
Reduce stigma to let youths to approach family members and doctors (not peer age group)
Legal and Family issues.
Treatment needs to be tailored to the individual.